An account of my time spent volunteering on shark research at the Bimini Biological Field Station in Bimini, Bahamas

August 12, 2005

National Geographic, Here I Come


I figured that working with sharks in Bimini for two months might - just might - give me a few opportunities to take some killer underwater pictures. But because I have zero clue in the area of underwater photography, I decided to take a PADI specialty course.

My friend Ben and I were originally going to do it up in Washington, but why learn to take underwater pictures in a quarry in Virginia when you could go down to Boca for a weekend and learn on a reef? That plan got kiboshed the first time we tried, thanks to Hurricane Dennis back in July. With the 6-8 foot seas less than ideal for diving, Ben wound up surfing instead. So we tried again this past weekend, and we coudln't have had better weather.

After reading the book, writing out the exercises, and meeting with the instructor, we finally dove in off of Pompano Beach. The ocean was like glass, the temperature was like bathwater, the vertical visibility was clear to the bottom, and there was virtually no current. We did two dives, one at Pompano Ledge and one at the wreck of the Coppenhagen. Nothing too spectacular, just a couple of shallow dives to practice taking pictures.

I'm using a Sea & Sea Motor Marine MX-10 underwater camera with detachable strobe. It's pretty beginner, but I can at least adjust a few settings, as opposed to the most basic point and shoots. The picture with this post is one that I took, but I confess that it was not from our dive off of Pompano a few days ago (none of those were good enough to post). The one above I took during my trip to the Great Barrier Reef in November 2004. So yeah, I'm cheating here. BUT...I am now officially certified in PADI Underwater Photography!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Professional-quality shot, I do say! I'm surprised you didn't put up any pics from the Florida dives. Wow, must they have REALLY sucked! I bet Ben's were amazing -- that kid's got an eye for photography!

4:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Canes- i love the underwater shots and all, but how 'bout a couple pics of the hurricanes/dolphins cheerleaders. hook a brother up.

1:03 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home